[PySide] Python 3.8 and 3.5

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Fri Oct 25 11:10:12 CEST 2019

Hey Cristián,

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 08:57:00AM +0000, Cristián Maureira-Fredes wrote:
> Python 3.5 has become really old for most distributions,
> so we would like to drop support for it, in favor of goodies
> that appeared on 3.6.
>
> [...]
>
> Python 2.7 is another story,
> but as mention in previous blog post
> we are planning to deprecate it as soon as Qt6 is released
> in favor of people still being unable to move forward.

I don't really understand this. Looking at the official support timeline for
those Python versions, it seems backwards:

3.5 end of life: 2020-09-13
2.7 end of life: 2020-01-01

In other words, you're dropping support for a Python version from 2015 which
has upstream support for (almost) another year, but continue to support a
version from 2010 which has upstream support for another two months.

Also note that Python 3.5 is shipped in Ubuntu Xenial (16.04 LTS) which is
still supported until April 2021 and in Debian Stretch which is supported for
even longer. While there is an upgrade path (18.04 LTS and Debian Jessie,
respectively), people who are still on a supported and common distribution
won't be able to use a newer PySide anymore.

Finally, what features does dropping 3.5 give you if you need to keep 2.7
support anyways?

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)