[PySide] Python 3.8 and 3.5

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Fri Oct 25 10:57:00 CEST 2019

Dear Community,

With the release of 3.8 many good features
were incorporated into Python, and we would like
to have support as soon as possible.
At the moment we are aiming for 5.14, but
if by any chance there are some issues, we will postpone
to the next minor release.

On the same field,
Python 3.5 has become really old for most distributions,
so we would like to drop support for it, in favor of goodies
that appeared on 3.6.

Since many users have specific configurations,
we would like to create awareness of this, so if by
any chance you cannot move from Python 3.5 you can let
us know, and we can discuss how to mitigate that issue.

If more bug-fixes releases are necessary for 5.12 or 5.13,
we will remain the 3.5 compatibility,
but from 5.14 onward the compatible versions will be
only 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8.

Python 2.7 is another story,
but as mention in previous blog post
we are planning to deprecate it as soon as Qt6 is released
in favor of people still being unable to move forward.

Let's know if this somehow affects your current
projects.

Cheers

--
Dr. Cristian Maureira-Fredes