[PySide] Python 3.8 and 3.5

Stephen Morris stephen.morris at silvaco.com
Fri Oct 25 14:48:43 CEST 2019

Thank you, Cristián,

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 12:35:00PM +0000, Cristián Maureira-Fredes wrote:
> I think you are aware that python 2.7 will be deprecated in 2020 [1], we wanted
> to also follow what other modules are doing too, but we decided to wait until the
> next major Qt release to do so, this will give almost one extra year after the official
> deprecation.

> Being said that, it seems really critical for the EDA to keep around 2.7, since it will
> be a deprecated piece of software. Many companies started to move a long time
> ago, and sadly all the code base writing in 2.7 will end up dying out.

> Could it be possible to evaluate a migration in your case? there are many tools
> also that can help you moving forward to use Python 3, maybe something like
> that could speed up things? [2]

> From the Qt point of view, it will be risky to base one of our releases on a
> deprecated piece of software, so I hope you can understand why the decision
> was made.

> If after a couple of months you see that's it's impossible for the industry to
> move forward, I guess you can start again a discussion on the matter, and
> maybe we can find a way to provide 2.7 wheels for a limited set of Qt modules.

Yes, we're aware of the imminent deprecation of Python 2.7, and even now (while its still officially supported) we're aware of numerous obsolete features in its source code: the very latest 2.7.16 release gives many deprecation warnings when you build it on a C++17 compiler.

Even so, we're a relatively small player within our industry, and among our customer base even Python 2.7 is cutting-edge: there are still commercial tools available from other vendors based on Python 2.6! Whether we like it or not we'll be tied to Python 2.7 for quite a long time, and will have to find a way of supporting it.

Stephen.