[PySide] Python 3.8 and 3.5

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Fri Oct 25 13:35:08 CEST 2019

On 10/25/19 11:39 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
> Hello Cristián,
>
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 09:58:00AM +0000, Cristián Maureira-Fredes wrote:
>> Python 2.7 is another story,
>> but as mention in previous blog post
>> we are planning to deprecate it as soon as Qt6 is released in favor of
>> people still being unable to move forward.
>
> Please do not remove support for Python 2.7. In our industry (EDA - Electronic Design Automation) there is a huge legacy codebase of custom scripts in Python 2, and close-to-zero adoption of Python 3. Our customers expect to be able to write scripts in Python 2, and we expect to have to support it for years to come.
>
> If Qt6 withdraws support for Python 2 then we'll be unable to adopt Qt6 - simple as that.
>
> Stephen.

Hey Stephen,

I think you are aware that python 2.7 will be deprecated in 2020 [1],
we wanted to also follow what other modules are doing too,
but we decided to wait until the next major Qt release to do so,
this will give almost one extra year after the official deprecation.

Being said that, it seems really critical for the EDA to keep around
2.7, since it will be a deprecated piece of software.
Many companies started to move a long time ago, and sadly all the
code base writing in 2.7 will end up dying out.

Could it be possible to evaluate a migration in your case?
there are many tools also that can help you moving forward to use
Python 3, maybe something like that could speed up things? [2]

 From the Qt point of view,
it will be risky to base one of our releases on a deprecated
piece of software, so I hope you can understand why the decision was made.

If after a couple of months you see that's it's impossible
for the industry to move forward, I guess you can start again
a discussion on the matter, and maybe we can find a way to provide
2.7 wheels for a limited set of Qt modules.

Best regards

[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/
[2] 2to3 executable in Python 3 versions.

--
Dr. Cristian Maureira-Fredes
Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH