[PySide] Egg-info build problem on Fedora Linux

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 14:22:09 CET 2020

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 2:17 AM Cristián Maureira-Fredes <
Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io> wrote:

> Hey Richard,
>
> On 11/26/20 4:41 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > I am working on updating the Fedora package, however, I've run into an
> > issue.
> >
> > I do a direct CMake build in order to properly enforce packaging
> > requirements and build flags. I have been building the egginfo manually
> > after the CMake build completes, however, several of the files are now
> > CMake configuration files and are written to the BINARY dir instead of
> > the SOURCE dir, and setuptools is unaware of this causing the
> > egginfo build to fail.
>
> I'm not sure "what changed" from previous versions,
> IIRC nothing change regarding the build process,
> and most of the things we are trying to do is a WIP
> at the moment.

It may be on the Fedora side but I'm not sure why it would matter. I always
do out-of-source builds for CMake. The only real change is that this is now
automatic and I don't have to do it manually anymore.

> What's the last version you built using this approach?
> and which one is the one giving you troubles?

5.15.1 built fine while 5.15.2 gave me the following error:

+ /usr/bin/python3 setup.py egg_info
running egg_info
creating shiboken2.egg-info
writing shiboken2.egg-info/PKG-INFO
writing dependency_links to shiboken2.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
writing top-level names to shiboken2.egg-info/top_level.txt
writing manifest file 'shiboken2.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
package init file 'sources/shiboken2/shibokenmodule/__init__.py' not found
(or not a regular file)
reading manifest file 'shiboken2.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
writing manifest file 'shiboken2.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
   or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
   or: setup.py --help-commands
   or: setup.py cmd --help
error: option --reuse-build not recognized

But __init__.py is in the CMake binary directory not the source directory.

> > Any hints on how to work around this?
>
> I guess that your problem
> is that you are mixing two approaches,
> you either use CMake, or use the setuptools that we provide,
> because in the second approach we take care of all the details
> related caveats to do a proper Python build process.

Functionally I don't think I actually need the egg-info related stuff, but
it's required to package it if available. It also helps with some automated
python dependency tracking in RPM.

So, I'd say you either use a:

> cmake -B build path/to/pyside2 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/some/path
> cmake --build build
> # Then an install to where you want to package it
> # cmake --install build

This is essentially what the cmake build macros already do.

I'm trying to rebuild 5.15.1 and see if the problem still occurs, if so
then it's a change on the Fedora side.

Thanks,
Richard