[PySide] PySide6 Video

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Wed Mar 10 11:24:17 CET 2021

Hey Jason,

thanks for the feedback!

It seems there was a mistake with the uploaded video,
and in fact that's the faulty version that has a really long
black-screen after the real talk.

(1) The audio is terrible too...I'm sorry about that,
but there should be related to being the faulty version.
The talk was recorded on a studio, so I would also expect a better audio
quality.

(2) Thanks! we will consider it for the next webinars/tutorials/talks

(3) Indeed there has been a lot of people contributing to the project,
not only with patches, but with constructive criticism and other ideas.
Still there is a lot of  things to do, to leave PySide as a proper
member of the Python ecosystem, but hopefully we will be there soon.

(4) Sadly I don't have access to the videos,
but I can do offer the slides and demo-videos (no audio though)
on this link: http://maureira.xyz/qtforpython_qtws2020/

(5) No :(

(6) This is a critical topic. Maybe you remember some old emails
about threading, and some problems with the GIL. In a nutshell,
we required to completely revert the hold/release mechanism we
had in place for PySide https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/PYSIDE-803
and the whole team spent a lot of time doing so.

At the moment, if you look at QThread, for example, we have some
methods with an atribute 'allow-thread="yes"' on the typesystem,
which is releasing the GIL and get into a pure QThread call
(using Py_BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS and Py_END_ALLOW_THREADS)
but as you can see, still we need to deal with the GIL. [1]

We could create a benchmark comparing a multiprocessing vs QThread
run, but I don't expect we will get numbers that are too different,
since there are still some bits of code implemented in C for the
multiprocessing module.

By any chance, do you have some benchmark in mind? or maybe
know a situation that could be cool to try out?

Cheers!

[1]
https://doc.qt.io/qtforpython/shiboken6/typesystem_manipulating_objects.html?highlight=allow%20thread