[PySide] PySide2 and PySide6 co-existing in same virtual environment

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Wed May 18 22:44:01 CEST 2022

On 5/18/22 18:49, Nicholas Yue wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I have a need to construct a Python virtual environment to install
> both PySide2 and PySide6 for migration purposes.
>
>    Are the two modules PySide2 and PySide6 designed to be
> installed/co-exists and used in the same virtual environment.
>
>    I did try it out on Windows10 Python 3.9.12 and installed both and
> was able to run
> * pyside2-designer
> * pyside6-designer
>
>    Their about-box indicates they are pulling in their respective Qt
> 5.15.2 and Qt 6.3.0
>
>    Should I take the above as indicating all is well or are there other
> concerns I need to take into consideration?
>
> Cheers
> --
> Nicholas Yue
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasyue/
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasyue/>

Hey Nicholas!

Yes, both projects can coexist without any problem.
All the tools that wrap Qt tools ones like
designer, uic, rcc, etc have the prefix pyside2- or
pyside6- respectively.

The installation inside your site-packages/
will have directories PySide2/, PySide6/, shiboken2/ and shiboken6/
as well, where the Qt binaries will be located.

The only problem you might face is to rely
on the tools like uic, to generate a similar result.
pyside6-uic is way superior than pyside2-uic,
due to being the "real uic" instead of our own
Python-adaptation of that tool.

In case you encounter some problem,
let us know by reporting an issue
https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_for_Python/Reporting_Bugs