[PySide] LGPL licensing obligations

David Ching dc at dcsoft.com
Fri Jan 13 18:20:22 CET 2023

For now, I just posted a written offer.  The app is not expected to have widespread interest, I would be surprised if anyone bothered to ask.  If they do, I will get the needed info at the time.  I would be interested in commercially licensing Qt under the startup plan (it is $500/year), but it is vague whether this is an option any more, and when it was, they claimed to audit tax documents to check the revenue is less than a certain amount, and I don’t have a separate entity set up for that.

Meanwhile, I could not find the source to the pyside6 wheel... does anyone know if this is available?  If so, I could redistribute that.  Or maybe I can just zip up what is installed with “pip install PySide6” and call it a day.

The Qt for Python licenses for what it uses are at https://doc.qt.io/qtforpython/licenses.html but I don’t use any of the affected functionality, so I don’t think I have to include them.  I haven't found the webpage listing the C++ Qt licenses of what it uses yet.

Does anyone know of any existing PySide6 LGPL projects where these deployment issues have been resolved?  The process of LGPL licensing of Qt for Python might itself by open sourced!  😊

Thanks,
David