[PySide] LGPL licensing obligations

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Fri Jan 13 18:49:44 CET 2023

Hey David,

On 1/13/23 18:20, David Ching wrote:
> For now, I just posted a written offer.  The app is not expected to have widespread interest, I would be surprised if anyone bothered to ask.  If they do, I will get the needed info at the time.  I would be interested in commercially licensing Qt under the startup plan (it is $500/year), but it is vague whether this is an option any more, and when it was, they claimed to audit tax documents to check the revenue is less than a certain amount, and I don’t have a separate entity set up for that.

For that is better to contact a salesperson directly
https://www.qt.io/contact-us

> Meanwhile, I could not find the source to the pyside6 wheel... does anyone know if this is available?  If so, I could redistribute that.  Or maybe I can just zip up what is installed with “pip install PySide6” and call it a day.

That information lives in the public wiki page: https://pyside.org
and the official documentation: https://doc.qt.io/qtforpython (in the
Install and build from source)

The repository is https://code.qt.io/cgit/pyside/pyside-setup.git/

> The Qt for Python licenses for what it uses are at https://doc.qt.io/qtforpython/licenses.html but I don’t use any of the affected functionality, so I don’t think I have to include them.  I haven't found the webpage listing the C++ Qt licenses of what it uses yet.

PySide most of the Qt modules, in case you include a module that has a
special license, you'll need to include it. For example, if you use
QtWidgets, at the end of each page like:
https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtwidgets-index.html#licenses
you find the used licenses.

> Does anyone know of any existing PySide6 LGPL projects where these deployment issues have been resolved?  The process of LGPL licensing of Qt for Python might itself by open sourced!  😊

Not that I'm aware of.

> Thanks,
> David

Cheers!