[QBS] RFC pkgconfig support

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at nokia.com
Thu Feb 23 12:04:53 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:52:11AM +0100, ext Joerg Bornemann wrote:
> Comments appreciated.

i don't like it because it makes the pkg-config use explicit in the
projects. that's counter to the idea that every module ought to be
treated the same.

the clean solution is having a separate module for every possible
dependency. these can use some centralized pkg-config helper internally.
of course this means adding loooots of modules (at least until we gain
world domination and every library provides its own Modules).

the somewhat magic solution would be adding some sort of module factory.
when a module is asked for, factory modules are queried and may forge
out modules with the requested names after querying some backend
(pkg-config in this case, obviously).
the downside of this is that external libraries may appear under two
module names: one of the explicit module we wrote first, and second of
the pkg-config name it chose itself later. that's not *really* a
problem, it will just lead to inconsistency across projects.
another downside is that the pkg-config module naming conventions do not
match our CamelCase conventions, which means that we need to accept
ugliness on the user side or build some magic name rewriting into the
factory.