[QBS] Platform probe procedure

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at nokia.com
Tue Mar 6 13:24:38 CET 2012

On 06/03/2012 10:50, ext BogDan wrote:

>    I've check current "platform probe" procedure and I don't find it very flexible, IMHO creating an application to probe a platform is too complicated, as long as you have a very powerful scripting language.  So, my proposal is to use QML to probe the platforms also.
> Because to probe for a platform you need some extra informations (e.g where is the toolchain, etc.),  I tried to make it IDE friendly, meaning that the IDE can create dynamic forms to collect all the informations needed to probe for that platform.

Right the probing stuff is not very end user friendly.
With your proposal we could get rid of the need to write a tool for
every platform we want to support.

PropertyOptions is actually inspired by the need to display / edit
properties from an IDE. The GUI element used for editing should be
deduced from the type of the property. File browser for "path", line
edit for "string", combobox for enum-like types etc.

> Here is a proof of concept android platform probe (I didn't check if the syntax if is correct or not):

Looks quite good for generating a UI to enter platform details.
The JS part ould need to be enhanced with support for XML, reading from
the registry on Windows and the like.

BR,

Jörg