[QBS] qbs for commercial applications

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at digia.com
Tue Aug 6 13:55:54 CEST 2013

On 08/06/2013 07:55 AM, achartier at fastmail.fm wrote:
> I have been loosely following the qbs development and it seems very
> promising as a replacement for qmake. I am, however, wondering what the
> developers' opinion is on its level of maturity.

The most important thing is to keep in mind that you would be an early
adopter, i.e. you are likely to run into corner cases, be the first
person to get hit by some subtle bug etc.
Regarding qbs' suitability for your particular project, I'd recommend
that you examine whether the latter has any "interesting" requirements
regarding the build system and try to come up with a small proof of
concept to see whether qbs is well-equipped to handle them.

> I understand that qbs
> is still quite new, but I'm wondering what the general opinion is on the
> qbs mailinglist as to its suitability for commercial applications. Is it
> far off from being stable, are there major features missing/showstopper
> bugs, or is it fairly stable and ready for use but just lacking some
> advanced features?

If you mean "stable" in the sense of "doesn't crash all the time", I'd
say yes, in my experience it is.
"Stable" as in "stable interfaces" -- that's a slightly more complicated
topic. The command-line interface has been unchanged for quite some time
now (except for additional options/commands). The project file format is
somewhat more in flux, usually to allow more flexibility as new use
cases come up. However, the required adaptations to existing projects
are usually entirely mechanical. The build metadata serialization format
also changes from time to time, resulting in the need to recompile
projects after updating qbs.
Regarding "advanced features", here is an example of something that
currently does not work (but is supposed to in the near future):
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QBS-370