[QBS] state and future of qbs

Jake Thomas Petroules jake.petroules at petroules.com
Fri Jan 4 13:35:52 CET 2013

BogDan - your suggestion regarding kits makes a lot of sense. It would also be nice to use the same terminology and a similar setup procedure, providing a nice seamless transition between Qt Creator and QBS. :)

I also had an idea regarding the ability to use multiple Qt versions in a single build tree - for example if you wanted to build a universal binary from 32-bit Carbon 4.6.4 gcc and 64-bit Cocoa 5.0.0 clang on Mac. There's no straightforward way to use two or more versions of Qt in a single build tree. I imagine the setup for doing so would be pretty awkward but perhaps a more general solution could be derived where a qbs build tree could depend on the outputs of other qbs build trees? The two "input" trees produce your two binaries, the third tree uses lipo to create a universal binary and package it into a dmg for the final product.

Yet another possibility could be the ability to apply profiles to individual Products rather than the Project as a whole. How would this potentially affect dependencies other than Qt?

Jörg - you mentioned "proper deployment support" as a goal for 0.3. By this are you referring to the equivalent of `make install`, or msi/dmg/deb/rpm/etc. packages?

Jake Petroules
Petroules Corporation (www.petroules.com)
Email: jake.petroules at petroules.com