[QBS] state and future of qbs

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 11:20:22 CET 2013

>G ood news, everyone!
> We got clearance to put some more work into qbs!
>
> In the last weeks we cleaned up a lot, stabilized crucial parts, removed
> experimental code and enhanced the overall usability. The most visible
> changes are:
>
> - There's only the file extension "qbs" now. The toplevel project
> doesn't have to be put in a "qbp" file anymore.
> - The config command behaves sane.
> - Wildcard support, thanks to Ruslan.
> - Incremental builds are now as fast as promised.
>
> We now switched our focus to milestone 0.3. The complete list of issues
> that have been resolved for 0.2 can be seen here:
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+QBS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%220.2%22+AND+status+%3D+Resolved+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC
>
> The most mentionable issues for 0.3 are:
> - Qt Creator plugin.
> - Proper deployment support.
> - Fix ridiculously huge memory usage / performance penalty of loader.
>
> The full list for 0.3 is here:
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+QBS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%220.3%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC%2C+key+DESC
>

> Cheers,
>
> Jörg

Hi Jörg,

This are indeed very good news. (Disclaimer: I'm (one of) the biggest fun of qbs :) ).
I checked qbs a few days ago, when I tried to create a qbs plugin for KDevelop,
and I think I've found an issue regarding platforms/profiles settings.
It seems that platforms and profiles are independent from each other, but I think
profiles should be linked to  platforms(toolchanins). I can not use x86 qt to
compile arm apps !
IMHO a better approach is to use something similar to QtCreator Kits, every
kit will contain a single toolchain and one or more qt "profiles".

Cheers,
BogDan.