[QBS] state and future of qbs

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at digia.com
Mon Jan 7 09:42:13 CET 2013

On 04/01/2013 13:35, Jake Thomas Petroules wrote:

> BogDan - your suggestion regarding kits makes a lot of sense. It would
> also be nice to use the same terminology and a similar setup procedure,
> providing a nice seamless transition between Qt Creator and QBS. :)

Now, that the names have settled a bit in Qt Creator we could even do that.

> I also had an idea regarding the ability to use multiple Qt versions in
> a single build tree - for example if you wanted to build a universal
> binary from 32-bit Carbon 4.6.4 gcc and 64-bit Cocoa 5.0.0 clang on Mac.
> There's no straightforward way to use two or more versions of Qt in a
> *single* build tree. I imagine the setup for doing so would be pretty
> awkward but perhaps a more general solution could be derived where a qbs
> build tree could depend on the outputs of other qbs build trees? The two
> "input" trees produce your two binaries, the third tree uses lipo to
> create a universal binary and package it into a dmg for the final product.

The use cases "Mac universal binaries" and "Android multi-arch binaries"
are pretty similar. Both are combining binaries of different builds. So
that's something to do after the build is done.
This might be part of deployment or some kind of a metaproject that
depends on the different build trees.

> Yet another possibility could be the ability to apply profiles to
> individual Products rather than the Project as a whole. How would this
> potentially affect dependencies other than Qt?

Then you would need to be able to specify multiple profiles to every
product. This might be possible but strange to use.

> Jörg - you mentioned "proper deployment support" as a goal for 0.3. By
> this are you referring to the equivalent of `make install`, or
> msi/dmg/deb/rpm/etc. packages?

We need a dedicated install/deploy command. Mostly for the reason that
building and installing might need different user rights.

Cheers,

Jörg

--
Joerg Bornemann