[QBS] Qbs Roadmap

Jochen Becher jochen_becher at gmx.de
Mon Jun 3 20:28:04 CEST 2013

Am Montag, den 03.06.2013, 10:51 +0200 schrieb Joerg Bornemann:
> On 01/06/2013 11:46, Jochen Becher wrote:
>
> >> Just out of curiosity, could you tell us what these conceptional
> >> problems are in detail?
> >
> > 1. qmake / jom is much slower than Visual Studio build
>
> Because it doesn't distribute over the net, I suppose.
> In the jom package is a batch file ibjom.cmd that uses IncrediBuild's
> xgConsole tool to distribute the compiler calls over the net.
> Note that you need an XGE package license for that.

No, we tried it with jom and XGE licensed Incredibuild of course but it
is still much slower than Visual Studio build. Dependency calculation is
slower (e.g. the time that is needed to run qmake / make to just
encounter that nothing has to be done). As I wrote later Incredibuild is
especially slow due to project synchronization but that is another
argument.

Another problem that I did not mention in my first mail is that
compiling a single source code file does not work very well with qmake /
make. It should work much better with qbs.

Best regards, Jochen