[QBS] New item ProductFolder

Jochen Becher jochen_becher at gmx.de
Tue Jun 4 21:32:15 CEST 2013

Hi Joerg

I believe your idea of SubProject and my idea of ProjectFolder are not
the exact same thing and we need both: ProjectFolder is just a grouping
of Products and nested ProjectFolders under a folder name. SubProject
sounds like an enhanced concept of Project which allows real sub
projects which can be built stand-alone or as part of a larger Project.

Of course it should be possible to use SubProjects in a way that they
only act as a folder in Projects but I would like to have an extra
keyword and an extra handling in the API and qbsprojectmanager for it
(e.g. Wizards should behave quite different if you just add a
descriptive layering folder in a Project or a complete SubProject for
all libraries).

So I want to continue my ProjectFolder implementation (which is a must
for usage of qbs in our development environment) and someone else may
implement the more complex SubProjects. Possibly once the SubProjects
are implemented one may find a way to eliminate the ProjectFolder
implementation and replace it with some specialization of SubProjects if
still QtCreator can support the difference concepts behind it

Do you agree?

Regards, Jochen