[QBS] A couple suggestions

Jake Thomas Petroules jake.petroules at petroules.com
Wed Jun 5 14:39:40 CEST 2013

On Jun 5, 2013, at 5:16 AM, Joerg Bornemann <joerg.bornemann at digia.com> wrote:

> On 05/06/2013 10:52, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>
>>> 1. Add a property qbs.platformExecutableFormat which could have the value of "pe", "macho", "elf", etc. It would be a read-only property determined by the targetOS, unless there is an actual use case for being able to override it? I can't think of any.
>>>
>> DOS extenders came with their own loaders, so there were multiple
>> formats. but then, each extender was basically a different platform.
>>
>> linux supports elf and a.out (nowadays, most distros certainly build
>> that as a module, if at all). but then, this would be probably a
>> separate platform as well.
>
> Sounds good.

Ok, but how would we want to implement it? I'm guessing set in the profile by qbs-detect-toolchains (and not read only)?

>>> 2. Add a way to specify the minimum version number of QBS required by a project, such as a minimumQbsVersion property on Project. If the requirement was not met, the build should fail with something like "This project requires a newer version of QBS. Current: 1.0.0, Required: 1.0.5"
>>>
>> that's basically what the versioned import statements are for. or should
>> be.
>
> The "import qbs 1.0" statement indeed specifies the (language) version
> number to be used for the file.

I was confused since it's been "1.0" since, well, always. Are we going to start changing it when we do releases?

> Joerg

Jake Petroules
Chief Technology Officer
Petroules Corporation ยท www.petroules.com