[QBS] Thoughts about processor architecture

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at digia.com
Mon Mar 25 10:36:13 CET 2013

On 21/03/2013 01:44, Jake Thomas Petroules wrote:

> First off is `qbs.supportedArchitectures`. This variable would hold a
> list of all architectures that the compiler can generate code for.

Fine, this should be detectable.

> Second is `qbs.defaultArchitectures`. This variable would hold a list of
> the architectures that the compiler will generate by default.

What would the value be for MSVC where there's a separate compiler
binary per target architecture?

Could we explicitely pass the architecture argument to gcc/clang in
every case and not rely on the default?

> Lastly is `qbs.targetArchitectures`. This variable would default to the
> value of `qbs.defaultArchitectures` and would be read-write, allowing the
> developer to specify which architectures they would like to compile for.

If there's postprocessing involved for combining builds, then this
should be a property of some kind of meta project that builds a
subproject with different build configurations and then does something
with the build result(s). I agree with Ossi that this looks a lot like
like a list of profiles.

Cheers,

Joerg