[QBS] Qbs install done by default

Stéphane Fabry sf at xris.eu
Tue Jul 7 09:32:43 CEST 2015

Hi Christian, hi all,

I went on a comment on the bugreports where you said: "installation will
be done by default as part of the build process in 1.4."

First, I would say that this kind of information is well hidden and
should have better visibility when there is a new QtCreator release.
Because of qbs version being hidden by qtcreator version, no one can
tell which qbs version it uses, and what will happen when you upgrade
QtCreator. I'd like to see a qbs release note linked to the QtCreator
blog annoucing the updates: telling us qbs version changes and link to
qbs changes between release.

That said, the problem I ran into is that now if I build my app on
windows and it is already running, it cause a problem at the install
step because on Windows you can't update exe or dll while in use ! What
happen is that QtCreator build process remains at full CPU usage when
linking, QtCreator GUI is still responsive but unable to kill the build
process (stop button does not work and closing QtCreator does not kill
the process neither). That makes me blame QtCreator for that but maybe
the root cause is the change in qbs.

Now I'd like first a solution to desactivate the default installation
step, and also maybe it is not a good behaviour to lock QtCreator in
such a situation.

Thanks

Stéphane