[QBS] Qbs install done by default

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at theqtcompany.com
Tue Jul 7 09:49:58 CEST 2015

On 07/07/2015 09:32 AM, Stéphane Fabry wrote:
> First, I would say that this kind of information is well hidden and
> should have better visibility when there is a new QtCreator release.
> Because of qbs version being hidden by qtcreator version, no one can
> tell which qbs version it uses,

<qtc dir>/bin/qbs --version

> and what will happen when you upgrade

Well, that is generally unknown with every software.

> That said, the problem I ran into is that now if I build my app on
> windows and it is already running, it cause a problem at the install
> step because on Windows you can't update exe or dll while in use !
> What
> happen is that QtCreator build process remains at full CPU usage when
> linking, QtCreator GUI is still responsive but unable to kill the build
> process (stop button does not work and closing QtCreator does not kill
> the process neither). That makes me blame QtCreator for that but maybe
> the root cause is the change in qbs.
>
> Now I'd like first a solution to desactivate the default installation
> step,

How about clicking on the checkbox in the build settings that says
"install"? Afterwards you should add an install stepp in the deploy
settings, and everything is as it was before-

> and also maybe it is not a good behaviour to lock QtCreator in
> such a situation.

Yes, we should remove the call to lockCreator()...
Seriously, neither have I seen such behavior nor do I know what would
cause it. It's a simple file copying operation that on my Windows (7)
machine results in the usual error message "failed to copy file" or
something along these lines.