[Qbs] Unexpected behavior of MSVC generator

Denis Shienkov denis.shienkov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 20:38:16 CET 2019

 > One can argue the other way round, too: Why would A have to take care
of "native" export to B when B does not care for importing A?

Because - 'A' is an universal cross-platform tool, aka QBS. And 'B' - it
is usually a narrowly specialized vendor-specific tool.

And a tool 'B' does not known nothing about 'A'.

But:
- tool 'B' has a better debugger than a tool 'A' and this debuger are
integrated only to the IDE of tool 'B'.
- tool 'B' has a worse IDE editor than a tool 'A' (e.g. QtC).

So, we just create a cross-platform project on a tool 'A' (on QBS) and
to generate required project for a tool 'B' , 'C' or something else to
use this generated project in that tools. It can be useful e.g. for
debugging purposes, or when a customer want to have a resulting project
sources in a "native" tool.

Of course, the developer can start developing a project using the
required target native tool 'B', 'C' and etc.. but usually, this tools
have an ugly IDE with a code editors (which causes a "vomiting reflex").

PS: I say about the bare-metal programming industry. It just a my
thoughts and wants. For me it would be a more comfortable to use the QtC
&& QBS with generators. :)