[Qbs] Who compared build times of Qt Creator with CMake and qbs?

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Tue May 14 10:57:53 CEST 2019

On Tue, 2019-05-14 at 10:04 +0200, Ola Røer Thorsen wrote:
> I'd like to know if Qt Creator will phase out Qbs support completely,
> seeing the comments and summary in that commit ("Qbs is dead"). Would be
> really bad for at least my team, if they did.

That "qbs is dead" was me, so I guess I need to clarify that statement:

I do not see qbs as an option to build Qt Creator with going forward. My plan is
to built creator with cmake and to remove both the qbs as well as the qmake
build systems from the Qt Creator sources.

Note that this is about the build system used to *build Qt Creator with*, not
about *build systems supported by Qt Creator*. I would personally like to keep
qbs supported as a build system for projects in Qt Creator for as long as it is
feasible.

The challenge will be Qt 6: Creator will use Qt 6 ASAP and since qbs is linked
into Creator, that will also need to be ported to Qt 6 to stay feasible.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der