[Qbs] Who compared build times of Qt Creator with CMake and qbs?

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Wed May 15 10:51:06 CEST 2019

Hi Richard,

I can only provide an opinion, it is not my place to make decisions.

On Tue, 2019-05-14 at 20:42 +0200, Richard Weickelt wrote:
> Tobias,
>
> I think it is of utmost importance for the survival of Qbs that it is fully
> supported by an IDE like QtCreator.

I would like to see qbs as a supported build system in Creator for as long as it
does not cause too much hassle to do so. That is no different to any of the
other plugins Creator has.

> What would yo define as the minimum criteria for keeping Qbs supported in Qt
> Creator?

Keep it supported: Qbs needs to build with a Qt version supported by Qt Creator.

Keep it enabled in the binary packages: Qbs needs to build with the Qt version
used by the binary packages.

> > The challenge will be Qt 6: Creator will use Qt 6 ASAP and since qbs is
> > linked
> > into Creator, that will also need to be ported to Qt 6 to stay feasible.
>
> Do you already have an idea when QtCreator will switch to Qt 6? Given the
> current release plan https://wiki.qt.io/Qt5Releasing, I expect the first
> release of Qt6 to happen around November 2020.

I do not know more about the timeline for Qt 6 than you do.

We will build Qt Creator with Qt 6 ASAP. It is a testbed and bug-detector for Qt
after all.

But as Andre already stated: We will also keep Qt 5 compatibility for as long as
that is practical.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der