[Qt-creator] Breakpoints not working in QC1.1.0

Martin Hofius Martin at hofius-online.com
Sun May 3 22:42:29 CEST 2009

Hi,

Am Samstag, 2. Mai 2009 schrieb Andre Poenitz:
> On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 03:25:14PM -0700, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> > I have a similar problem (QtCreator ignoring breakpoints completely)
> > but it is happening on Windows.
I just tested Creator 1.1.0 on Windows XP and got similar problems.

> By now this has been reported several times, and in all cases we
> manage to examine close enough the problem was a release-only build.
This seems also be the base of problems in my case.

> I guess in the long run we would need to have to discover whether
> the binary that's actually running is indeed a debug build, but
> for the short term, please double-check not only that it is a debug
> build (Project settings) but alose whether the "Compile output" pane
> mentions '-g' during compilation). Also, for starters, try to set
> a breakpoint on 'main' using Debug -> Set breakpoint on function "main".
I took an older short project (just opening 2 windows), made a complete
rebuild and tried to debug... I got the new compiled files in my release dir
(both for debug and for release configuration).

> > Clean install of Qt SDK 2009.02, it's completely impossible to debug
> > anything on Windows (tried two machines so far).  Both Windows XP SP3
> > 32bit.  One is a dev machine, the other is an Asus EeeTop that has
> > never had any development tools or Qt installed on it.
> > Project is set to debug mode.  I rebuilt many times.  Also deleted all
> > the makefiles and .pro.user files from previous version of QtCreator
> > with the same result.
>
> This should be pretty clean, indeed. But something goes wrong...
I got a correct configuration after I deleted the pro.user file AND rejected
importing an old configuration the next time.

> > When configuring Qt versions, it correctly lists 4.5.1 as the default
> > Qt version.  The Qt path is correct, the mingw path is correct, and
> > there is a green checkmark by the debugging helper.  I've tried
> > rebuilding the debugging helper but it makes no difference (seems to
> > compile fine).  There remains no option to build the GDB debug macros,
> > and debugging doesn't work.
>
> Please check there is a '-g' mentioned in the compiler output, and also
> send (possibly privately to me) a copy of the contents of the right pane
> of the "Gdb" View.
I also noticed that
- on windows xp (mingw)  the compiled files are stored in subdirectories named
release or debug (depending on configuration name or the qmake debug/release
option?)
- on linux (openSuse 11.0/10.3) the compiled files are stored in the project
directory. I had to activate the shadow build option and to adjust the path
to release and debug dirs - and these paths are copied to the default run
configuration path. Why is it different to the windows configuration
behaviour? Or maybe it's also an conversion issue from Creator 1.0.0 to 1.1.0
and will change if I delete the pro.user file?

> Andre'

Martin