[Qt-creator] Breakpoints not working in QC1.1.0

Leo Spalteholz leo.spalteholz at gmail.com
Mon May 4 23:32:20 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Andre Poenitz
<andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 03:25:14PM -0700, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
>> I have a similar problem (QtCreator ignoring breakpoints completely)
>> but it is happening on Windows.
>
> By now this has been reported several times, and in all cases we
> manage to examine close enough the problem was a release-only build.
>
> I guess in the long run we would need to have to discover whether
> the binary that's actually running is indeed a debug build, but
> for the short term, please double-check not only that it is a debug
> build (Project settings) but alose whether the "Compile output" pane
> mentions '-g' during compilation). Also, for starters, try to set
> a breakpoint on 'main' using Debug -> Set breakpoint on function "main".

That's it.  Even when the build configuration is set to debug, it was
still compiling in release mode.

Turns out in my .pro file (which came from pre-QtCreator days), I had
put in a CONFIG += release, so that's what was causing the problem.
Removing that line solves everything.

So the problem was a change in behaviour between QtCreator versions.
In 1.0, specifying Debug mode in the build configuration overrides
whatever is in the CONFIG in the pro file, in QtCreator 1.1, the pro
file overrides the build configuration setting.  I don't know what is
more correct, but it is certainly confusing to set Debug and end up
with a release build.

Leo