[Qt-creator] Copy and paste not working for me

Shaun van Wyngaard (home) shaungvw at gmail.com
Mon May 4 18:38:51 CEST 2009

From: "Thorbjørn Lindeijer" <thorbjorn.lindeijer at nokia.com>
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 2:32 PM
To: <qt-creator at trolltech.com>
Subject: Re: [Qt-creator] Copy and paste not working for me

> ext Shaun van Wyngaard (home) wrote:
>> Hello
>> I have changed my keyboard shortcut for deleting a line to Ctrl+Del
>> combination (from Shift+Del). If I Ctrl+C a line to copy it, then
>> Ctrl+Del to delete it, and then I go somewhere else to paste it, it
>> doesn't get pasted, i.e. the clipboard/memory seems to have been
>> cleared.
>
> Note that the current delete line action also copies the line. Could it
> be that the last thing you did was erasing an empty line?
>
> In any case I still plan to add a real 'delete line' action and rename
> the current one to 'cut line'.

This is exactly what happened. So for instance I copy a line, then Ctrl+Del
a line
(and possibly more, including maybe empty lines). This then obviously
replaces
what was in memory, hence nothing is pasted (well, actually a blank line
is pasted!)

> > Also, to change these keyboard shortcuts, I couldn't do it
>> within the UI, I had to export them all as a file, change it manually
>> within the file, and then import it back in. Doing it from the UI kept
>> wanting to append my combination onto the existing.
>
> The way the GUI works is that you first have to clear the existing
> shortcut and then press the new one. This is because it allows multi-key
> shortcuts, for example Ctrl+E and then 2 to split the editor.

Thanks, I have figured it out now. My problem was that I had it
ordered by Keyboard Shortcut, so when I deleted it, it disappeared
from the visible list, making me think it had been completely
removed from the list, and then I pressed the defaults button to
get it back. Silly me.  But yes, an actually delete line shortcut would
be most welcome.

Good IDE by the way. Very impressed. While many of my fellow
students are battling setting up with another free [Q...]IDE, I managed
to set up pretty easily. Thanks