[Qt-creator] How to debug Qt Libraries

Andre Poenitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun May 31 12:41:29 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 02:06:03AM +0400, Rudenko Eugene wrote:
> Yes, I I compiled it by myself (there is no another way for qt-
> embedded :-) ), yes make install striped libraries,
> and I used the way you show (configure Qt with  -prefix=$PWD without
> installing it). And result is same, not step in in library source code.

Did you ./configure with -debug?

> I can't understand how to show to debugger where is cpp files located.
> In Debug->Sources view I can see headers from $QT_DIR/include path.
> But how to show to debugger where sources to get and how to know that
> debugger didn't find sources or it's another error ?

As you didn't move the compiled Qt it really should find them
out-of-the box.

> For example in eclipse, during debuging, when debugger unable to find
> sources (for application or library), it's show   error string "unable
> to find sources for file xxx.cpp" in code editor view (where source
> code for debuging must be appear).

Creator currently shows the innermost frame for which debug information
is available. I don't think that's the worst choice.

> Also it's Interesting how the guys from qtsoftware (former trolls)
> debug this libraries? from gdb directly?

Different people use different techniques. Using plain gdb is certainly
one of them, others include using Qt Creator, "printf-style" debugging,
or even just "reading the code".

Regards,
Andre'