[Qt-creator] How to debug Qt Libraries

Rudenko Eugene erule.biz at gmail.com
Sun May 31 20:02:21 CEST 2009

31.05.2009, в 14:41, Andre Poenitz написал(а):

> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 02:06:03AM +0400, Rudenko Eugene wrote:
>> Yes, I I compiled it by myself (there is no another way for qt-
>> embedded :-) ), yes make install striped libraries,
>> and I used the way you show (configure Qt with  -prefix=$PWD without
>> installing it). And result is same, not step in in library source
>> code.
>
> Did you ./configure with -debug?
Of course !!! I can see debug symbols via mc-commander and nm directly.

>> I can't understand how to show to debugger where is cpp files
>> located.
>> In Debug->Sources view I can see headers from $QT_DIR/include path.
>> But how to show to debugger where sources to get and how to know that
>> debugger didn't find sources or it's another error ?
>
> As you didn't move the compiled Qt it really should find them
> out-of-the box.
there are the steps I did while compiled qt-embedded:
1. I created some script to configure wt-embedded:
#!/bin/bash
PREFIX=$PWD
PARAMS="-prefix $PREFIX \
	-no-fast \
	-no-largefile \
	-no-exceptions \
	-no-accessibility \
	-stl \
    	-no-sql-db2 \
	-no-sql-ibase \
	-no-sql-mysql \
	-no-sql-oci \
	-no-sql-odbc \
	-no-sql-psql \
	-no-sql-sqlite \
	-no-sql-sqlite2 \
	-no-sql-tds \
	-no-qt3support \
	-no-xmlpatterns \
     	-no-phonon \
	-no-phonon-backend \
  	-no-svg \
	-no-webkit \
	-no-scripttools \
	-no-mmx \
	-no-3dnow \
	-no-sse \
	-no-sse2 \
	-qt-zlib \
	-qt-gif \
	-qt-libtiff \
	-qt-libpng \
	-qt-libmng \
	-qt-libjpeg \
	-nomake examples \
	-nomake demos \
	-nomake docs \
	-nomake translations \
	-no-optimized-qmake \
	-no-nis \
	-no-cups \
	-no-iconv \
	-no-pch \
	-no-dbus \
	-no-separate-debug-info \
	-no-freetype \
	-qconfig sm2 \
	-depths 32 \
	-no-opengl  \
	-qt-gfx-qvfb \
	-qt-kbd-qvfb \
	-openssl-linked \
	-qt-mouse-qvfb "
./configure -shared -debug \
	$PARAMS \
     -I/usr/include/openssl \
     -L/usr/lib \
2. run make

That's All

>> For example in eclipse, during debuging, when debugger unable to find
>> sources (for application or library), it's show   error string
>> "unable
>> to find sources for file xxx.cpp" in code editor view (where source
>> code for debuging must be appear).
>
> Creator currently shows the innermost frame for which debug
> information
> is available. I don't think that's the worst choice.
Yes, but it will be better to have some way to say debugger where to
get sources. (I think it's not very hard, via GDB).

>> Also it's Interesting how the guys from qtsoftware (former trolls)
>> debug this libraries? from gdb directly?
>
> Different people use different techniques. Using plain gdb is
> certainly
> one of them, others include using Qt Creator, "printf-style"
> debugging,
> or even just "reading the code".
Ok, you confirm that someone use QtCreator under Linux for debugging
qt-embedded libraries with success and it's possible to do it?