[Qt-creator] QT Installation support for linux

Leslie S Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 16:28:28 CET 2011

I have this situation.   I installed QT via the Linux yum/synaptic facilities (Ubuntu and Fedora 32bit).  On different systems, the libraries for GCC or G++ or X11 are at different levels. If I send an executable to a client, it wont run on his system, unless it is compiled on his system.  I realized I must not use the UBUNTU or Fedora deb or rpm versions but must standardize of the versions from the website.

Doing this is also frustrating as I would like to be able to deliver software to run everywhere.   In particular, QT should allow me to eliminate linux version dependancies,

I removed all traces of QT from the two Linux systems, and then tried installing by using qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.4 .

What is missing for installation instructions is the sentence for SDK installation is that you should run it with administrator (root) privileges.  I eventually realized this requirement. As root, I execute using the QT defaults.

After completion, QtCreated error messages that are emitted:     QPixmap::handle(): Pixmap is not an X11 class pixmap
Where do I find the answer to fix this or another corrective?

and for qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.4   I use the default values again. and it stops with the following message..
Basic XLib functionality test failed!
 You might need to modify the include and library search paths by editing
 QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 in /home/leslie/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.4/mkspecs/linux-g++.

Inside
mkspecs/linux-g++ are two files, and neither has a symbolic references to the two QMAKE_INCDIR_X11  or QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11

If I need to give an executable to another person with a different version of Debian (later or earlier) or Fedora, what is the answer?

As you can see, the questions are not about language, but about installation and distribution of executables for desktop software.

May I make a suggestion here.
Is there some way to generate for SDK, a rpm or DEB file?  Better yet, a Linux ISO  for 32 or 64bit versions.

Thank you and please advise.  I am not a QT guru and need getting started help with installation.

Regards

 Leslie

Mr. Leslie Satenstein
50 years in IT and going strong.
Yesterday was a good day, today is a better day,and tomorrow will be even better.