[Qt-creator] QT Installation support for linux

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun Nov 20 19:16:29 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 07:28:28AM -0800, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
> I have this situation.   I installed QT

[QuickTime, really? ;-}]

> Doing this is also frustrating as I would like to be able to deliver software
> to run everywhere.   In particular, QT should allow me to eliminate linux
> version dependancies,

You will always depend on other libraries like libpng etc. so, no,
compile a C++ program, and hope to be ale to run it on "all linux
version" (even assuming it's the same target architecture).

> What is missing for installation instructions is the sentence for SDK
> installation is that you should run it with administrator (root) privileges.

I don't think this is missing as it is neither wanted, nor needed.

The SDK is meant as a way to get a quick start as an individual
programmer. It is not meant as a replacement for proper packaging
for things you create locally.

> I eventually realized this requirement. As root, I execute using the
> QT defaults.

It's not a requirement.

> After completion, QtCreated error messages that are emitted:
> QPixmap::handle(): Pixmap is not an X11 class pixmap
> Where do I find the answer to fix this or another corrective?

I don't know. I am seeing the message myself, but did not take the
to track down the reason so far. Seems to be in the "Mostly Harmless"
category anyway, and more of a Qt issue, than a Qt Creator one.

> and for qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.4   I use the default values again.
> and it stops with the following message..
> Basic XLib functionality test failed!
>  You might need to modify the include and library search paths by editing
>  QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 in /home/leslie/
> qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.4/mkspecs/linux-g++.

Or install the compile dependencies, like X development packages.

> [...]
> If I need to give an executable to another person with a different version of
> Debian (later or earlier) or Fedora, what is the answer?

Software distribution on Linux usually happens as source, or as proper
packages for the target system's packaging system. Distributing
"standalone" binaries is rather uncommon, and usually only done when
you don't have the resources to build "native" packages, or want
to provide something pre-compiled quicker than the distributions.

> May I make a suggestion here.  Is there some way to generate for SDK,
> a rpm or DEB file?  Better yet, a Linux ISO  for 32 or 64bit versions.

I am afraid I don't understand this one.
A Linux ISO? A bootable "Qt SDK"?

Regards,
Andre'