[Qt-creator] Any Madde users left?

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Dec 12 00:12:52 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:20:18PM +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> 11.12.2012, 19:39, "Attila Csipa" <qt at csipa.in.rs>:
> > On 11/12/12 16:57, Christian Kandeler wrote:
> >
> >>  if there is anyone out there who would be terribly
> >> inconvenienced if Qt  Creator 2.7 no longer supported Fremantle
> >> and Harmattan development via  the Madde framework, they are
> >> advised to speak up now.
> >
> > Not terribly, but it certainly is annoying to pile up the various
> > versions of QtCreator as it has a non-overlapping set of supported
> > platforms for different versions. I have one QtCreator for
> > Symbian, one QtCreator for Qnx, one QtCreator for Nemo, had one
> > QtCreator for MeeGo, now one QtCreator for Maemo, one for... you
> > get the idea (and one latest head build for my own hackery ;). I
> > understand that nobody breaks things voluntarily and that the real
> > solution is to have maintainers, but it's just easier to have
> > separate builds than taking up maintainership (which in turn kind
> > of defeats the whole pluggable architecture concept of QtCreator).
>
> Well, if Qt Creator had stable plugin API, in most cases it would be
> possible just recompile old unmaintained plugin against new Qt
> Creator to get it working...

So far the benefits of being able to shift interfaces as needed
seem to outweigh the benefits of being able to keep unmaintained
plugins alive _by far_.

That might, of course, be a misconception, as we simply don't know
what kind of plugins are there out in the wild, but lacking real
data the best guess is that there are "not too many".

So if there is some real interest in that use case, those interested
parties maybe just should announce their existence. Until there is
some critical mass I am tempted to declare that a non-issue and we
should maybe rather try to get something like a "build bot" up and
running that creates plugin binaries suitable for "Qt Creator latest"
on a few selected platforms from plugin sources.

And yes, that won't really shield from things like "removing
Symbian support", only from "random" changes in internal API.

Andre'