[Qt-creator] Generic Linux Target GDB Session not terminated

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Jun 2 03:07:21 CEST 2012

It doesn't look like the breakpoint at connection.cpp:782 was hit.

> > [Assuming 1. is really explained by not-yet-loaded shared objects]
> I am having a .so used by the program which is stripped on the target.

Is this connection.cpp part of the .so or part of the main binary?

Can you run "$readelf -S $sysroot/yourbinary" (and for the .so) where
$readelf is something like  arm-none-linux-gnueabi-readelf ?

> > Are you sure the libraries you have in the sysroot (you set it to
> > /home/sander/speedy/trunk/ptx/platform-pmx-one/root-debug) are exact
> > copies of the ones you have on the device, and that their debug
> > information is up-to-date"?
> Might the fact that the library on the target is stripped be the source for
> this message?

No, having librarieso without debuginfo on the target is fine, but the
version in the sysroot should be unstripped.

> > State 11 is RunOk. Something or someone decided that's a good idea to quit
> > now "out of band". Did you use Debug->Abort, or did the connection die?
> I used the stop button. So this is where it should kill the process but
> doesn't. In this run i just started the debugger and then stopped it after the
> program started. This was just for producing this log.

Ok, so the QUIT REQUESTED is explained.

> > 4. "detach", not "kill" is strange, but the reason why the gdbserver
> > is still running. This is usually only done if the connection is
> > established using "Attach [... to something]" from the Debug menu.
> Mh i missed the detach command. So this at least explains why the gdbserver
> is still running. But i pressed the red stop button and i think this should
> kill the debugging session? It to late for me right now but thats something
> i can grep for...

You could start Creator in Creator and check why the StartParameter's
closeMode was set to DetachAtClose, and not to KillAtClose.

> > How did you start debugging? "<F5>, with a fully configured
> > generic remote linux setuop", or by using something from the
> > Debug menu?
> I have configured my device as a generic linux target and started via debug
> button not the menu.

Good.

> The generic linux target is a really nice feature btw. The only thing which is
> missing is automatic toolchain detection for embedded target distributions
> like open embedded or ptxdist (which i am using). But thats would really just
> be a convinience function.
>
> As far as i remember someone stated that the toolchain stuff should been
> modularized. So adding this detection would be easier. Has this modularization
> happend.

It still being worked on, in the wip/profile branch.

Andre'