[Qt-creator] indent preprocessor directives

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.org
Sat May 5 21:23:47 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM, André Pönitz <
andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> [Actually I haven't seen a preprocessor complaining about # not
> being in column 1 for a while. I admit I also avoid it, but forgot
> the reason why. Anywways, the Standard quote settles the matter.]

In spite of my mistake, I'm glad I made the post, because I learned
something. I do apologize for wasting everyone's time, though.

> Shifting the # to column 1 when the user explicitly put it somewhere
> else violates the "Creator should not get in the way" principle.

Shifting to column 1 was appropriate if it was necessary to support legacy
preprocessors (which was probably important in the past). If we can now
rely on preprocessors to follow the standard, then I agree with you.

> Just removing the feature seems the right thing to do here.

Sounds right, but before we do let's do a quick sanity check. We know that
the GNU preprocessors, the MSFT preprocessor, and the XCode preprocessor
all handle not-in-column-one correctly. Are there any *other* (potentially
non-compliant) preprocessors that people are targeting from Qt that we may
need to think about here?

Jonathan