[Qt-creator] QNX plugin: where to put bar-descriptor.xml editor

eike.ziller at nokia.com eike.ziller at nokia.com
Mon May 7 09:34:38 CEST 2012

On 7 May 2012, at 09:04, ext Tobias Nätterlund wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Working on the QNX plugin for Qt Creator, we are right now a bit unsure what
> is the most Qt Creator-like workflow when it comes to the bar-descriptor.xml
> file.
>
> This file is used by the packaging tool to create .bar packages, that is
> installed onto the BlackBerry device, and contains e.g. which libraries to
> include in the package, application name, permissions, etc.
>
> What we'd like to do is to create an widget-based editor for this file, to rid
> the user of having to edit the XML code manually.
>
> We have two options for where to put this editor at this point:
> 1) Make a specific editor that shows up when you select the bar-descriptor.xml
> file in the project tree, instead of showing the pure XML code.
>
> 2) Put everything in the deploy settings, and possibly not have the bar-
> descriptor.xml file show up in the project tree at all.
>
> Any preference for one of the above?

I'd think 1). You want to save these options in this file, and the file sounds like being a real integral part of the project sources that will be checked into version control, and it wouldn't be possible to have different deploy/run configurations with different bar-descriptor settings anyhow, would it?

Br, Eike