[Qt-creator] QNX plugin: where to put bar-descriptor.xml editor

Tobias Nätterlund tobias.naetterlund at kdab.com
Mon May 7 09:04:01 CEST 2012

Hi,

Working on the QNX plugin for Qt Creator, we are right now a bit unsure what
is the most Qt Creator-like workflow when it comes to the bar-descriptor.xml
file.

This file is used by the packaging tool to create .bar packages, that is
installed onto the BlackBerry device, and contains e.g. which libraries to
include in the package, application name, permissions, etc.

What we'd like to do is to create an widget-based editor for this file, to rid
the user of having to edit the XML code manually.

We have two options for where to put this editor at this point:
1) Make a specific editor that shows up when you select the bar-descriptor.xml
file in the project tree, instead of showing the pure XML code.

2) Put everything in the deploy settings, and possibly not have the bar-
descriptor.xml file show up in the project tree at all.

Any preference for one of the above?

The settings themselves are quite extensive, the editor in QNX Momentics is
split over four tabs.  The General and Assets pages from that editor can be
seen at [1].

Thanks,
Tobias

[1] http://bgmotey.blogspot.se/2012/02/qthelloworld-in-momentics-ide-for.html