[Qt-creator] Tweaking qt-creator look and feel.

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Thu May 17 11:15:31 CEST 2012

17.05.2012, 13:06, "Paulo Silva" <paulo.jnkml at gmail.com>:
> Hi, thanks for the feedback.
>
>>  1. I like the idea of hidden labels of mode icons ("Welcome" etc.). It could
>>  be implemented in mainline as an option.
>
> Well, it''s not just that, but the bar is also less than half the
> original width. =)

That was my point indeed.

>>  2. Probably you are right that build/run/debug buttons are misplaced. They should
>>  stay somewhere on top and stop button should be among them, but I'm not sure
>>  if they should replace settings of project tree.
>
> I wouldn't say misplaced. The reason I placed them on every project
> cell on the tree view is because when I work with several projects,
> ex: several libs + 1 app that uses those libs, if I want to compile an
> inactive project I need to right click and select the build option.
> Sometimes I wish I had a button just for that.

Note that there's a shortcut for "projecttargetselector" widget.

> Another possibility would be for the project selection to be by double
> clicking on its name, instead of left click + menu option.

+1 for double click.

> Then I could at least use the key shortcut to build the project. Still
> a bit, but at least less work than it is now.
>
>>  3. IMO tabs rapidly become unusable while number of open files grow; however
>>  I rarely use "Xcode-like" outline in editor toolbar and prefer sidebar outline, so
>>  place in editor's toolbar could be used for something else tabs for recent 2-3 files.
>
> I also agree. But since the open files widget is still there, the
> current usability would not change.
> As for tabs versus drop-down menu, in my usage experience can't
> remember ever using it.
> I either use the open files widget or option+tab to cycle through the
> open buffers.
> Hoever I do think that tabs are still better than the drop-down menu,
> specially when there's up to say 10 tabs open or so.
>
> Using a scheme à-lá chrome then I would say it would be incomparably better.

FFFFFUUUUUUU

> In chrome the tabs don't go out of screen (could be a layout option),
> they are just resized (all to the same size).

But soon youl'll have only one letter per file. Also it can make me think
QtC hogs memmory in the same way as Chromium and I have to find
hidden options like --single-process etc. :)

> Since the rest of the app is really slim looking, it's actually easier
> to get a lot of tabs in there.

In your fork please :)

--
Regards,