[Qt-creator] Status of Python-enable debugging on OS X?

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri May 18 15:14:56 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 08:50:46AM -0400, Stephen Chu wrote:
> Is there any news on bringing python-enabled gdb to OS X?

FSF gdb works in some cases, but according to recent feedback
still not sufficiently well everywhere.

> How about lldb?

Inside Creator just in "prototype" state, and rarely compiles
on Linux, which means that chances that it will "accidententally"
work are rather slim.

> I know Apple provided gdb is not and will never be Python-enabled. I
> find the guide on installing a patched version of fsfgdb 7.2 and it
> seems to work with the default toolchain. Will this make it into the
> release?

Which release? SDK?

> I also tried the patched gdb with MacPorts gcc 4.7 and it doesn't work.
> Many of the variables are not listed and the few that do are marked as
> optimized out or something similar.
>
> My number 1 issue with current gdb is it doesn't show the contents of
> standard library containers, even with helpers/dumpers.
> std::vector<string> doesn't even show how many items are in it. I am
> hoping a python-enabled debugger will fix this.

std::vector<std::string> used to work with the compiled dumpers, so
file a bug. This is certainly fixable in the old setup.

Andre'