[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

Geronimo Ma. Hernandez geronimo013 at gmx.com
Sun May 27 16:04:56 CEST 2012

On Sonntag 27 Mai 2012, André Pönitz wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 06:14:26AM +0200, Geronimo Ma. Hernandez wrote:
> > The biggest point - no variable has an content in debugging session. Bug
> > or misconfiguration?
>
> Please attach the debugger log (contents of the right pane of
> Windows->Views ->Debugger Log) of such a "failed" session.

I'm sorry, but I continued with my project and currently I can't build it with
QtCreator.
That's probably my fault, cause I don't know cmake configuration ...
... but I don't really want to spent time bothering with different make
systems.

With netbeans I can enter any compiler-switch necessary to build the project.

I'm no C++ developer - I come from java-world and need to do little jobs with
C++ - so I don't like to spent lots of time to learn about build tools, I only
use for a very short time.

Before I tried QtCreator, I heard rumors about QtCreator having the best
debugging interface ... so most probably my expectations where wrong.
The point is - my first thought was - I did something wrong, so I tried to
debug several executables. Let me compare it with kdevelop, which shows any
accessible content from the same executable.
With QtCreator the locals where shown by name, but when I click at the "+" in
front of a composed type, nothing happens except the + changed with a -

> > - I read about hacking QtCreator to get some var contents ...
>
> Where did you read what?

Well, I searched several forum threads and finally hit this page:
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtcreator-2.4/creator-debugging-helpers.html
I only skimmed the page, but I said: No, not at all. I don't wonna spent my
time on such items.

> If it doesn't work for you, then the appropriate reaction
> would be sending a mail to the mailing stating your version of Creator
> what OS and which toolchain you are using.

Ok, I fetched the 2.5.0 binary (revision eadad258b9) from
http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/qt-creator-binary-for-linux-x11-64-bit and
checked the system requirements. Installation completed without error, so I
expected everything to be ok.
I'm working at debian stable with kde-desktop and gnu / cmake toolchain.

I don't know much about toolchains, that's why I need an IDE.

> > At least if  you'd like to be taken for serious.
>
> This goes both ways...

Ok sorry - I found the above article that incredible, that I got emotional.

But after all - you can take for granted: If I did not appreciate the state
and the work of QtCreator, I would have written nothing.

kind regards

Gero