[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun May 27 14:46:56 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 06:14:26AM +0200, Geronimo Ma. Hernandez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> its my first contact with QtCreator - and at first sight, I was really
> impressed. Very nice looking, very fast, very promising ...
> I very like the Todo-Plugin - very cool the supported different colors and the
> speed of synchronization!
> I also very like the one-click navigation.
>
> After few days of working with it, I'd have to state, that from my point of
> view, QtCreator is not ready for real work yet, to be used as IDE. but Its
> already a good replacement for editors.
>
> The biggest point - no variable has an content in debugging session. Bug or
> misconfiguration?

Please attach the debugger log (contents of the right pane of Windows->Views
->Debugger Log) of such a "failed" session.

> - I read about hacking QtCreator to get some var contents ...

Where did you read what?

> Huh? - r u kidding! - Such basics should work out of the box.

Debugging usually works out of the box, and it usually does not require any
special setup. If it doesn't work for you, then the appropriate reaction
would be sending a mail to the mailing stating your version of Creator
what OS and which toolchain you are using.

> At least if  you'd like to be taken for serious.

This goes both ways...

> So I'll step back to use netbeans for work, but I'll keep watching the
> maturing of QtCreator.
>
> These are the issues (with decreasing importance), I missed most:
> [...]

That's best reported on bugreports.qt-project.org.

Andre'