[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun May 27 20:57:46 CEST 2012

On Sunday 27 May 2012 06:14:26 Geronimo Ma. Hernandez wrote:

> These are the issues (with decreasing importance), I missed most:

I guess there is a barrier of communication and it is also possible that you
"identified" things you are missing without having finished your exploration.

> - support for different window (number, size, position) for debug session
> and editing session and each session should save column size for lists too.

This is an example of failed communication. I'm not sure I understand what you
want to say.

> - GUI-wizard for compiler/linker/tool settings
For makefile-based projects, configuration of toolchain is almost automatic.
You only need to choose your preferred.

For cmake-based projects (I don't have experience with, but) there is
discussion for improving the already great support existing there. Anyways,
you can use a full cmake-based wizard (like ccmake e.g.) then import your
project in QtCreator.

> - switch debug session to debug child-process after a fork system call

This is a matter of choice. I guess gdb supports this. Did you look at the gdb
options in QtCreator?

> - support templates for file, class and method creation (file-templates
> distinct for each extension), with placeholder for date, username,
> classname, ...

This is already there. What do you mean? There are many possibilities for
macros too and you can even write your own wizards for creating absolutely
custom files.

> - support refactoring (alt-enter) without changing the active editor (aka
> refactoring in background)

What do you mean? It seems to me this is what QtCreator does already!

> - files created by "new C++-class" should automatically become part of the
> (active) project, or add a context menu entry for project tree-nodes

What do you mean? This is already the case.

> - follow symbol under cursor should keep track of open editors and if more
> than one editor is open (splitted), the current active editor should not
> change.

This is a matter of choice. Submitting an improvement request in the bug
tracking system is assuredly welcome.

> - add support for external beautifier/code-formatters like astyle,
> uncrustify, jindent or the like

Look at Tools/External/Configure, You won't need more, probably.

> - mark all occurrences of symbol under cursor (variable, function, class,
> what ever) in the current file (or better in all visible files) so usages
> can be visualized very fast. Such marks shall be mouse sensitive for faster
> navigation.

What do you mean? This is the case already.

> - allow to toggle symbols from left-size toolbar, so that the build-icons
> are on top and the menu-icons are on bottom

This is a work in discussion already. I guess you're welcome to participate.

Thanks for your interest.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org