[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.org
Tue May 29 19:19:06 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Geronimo Ma. Hernandez <geronimo013 at gmx.com
> wrote:

> But after all, netbeans, eclipse and even kdevelop have some nice features.
> And if those features make live easier, why not go for it?

Serious answer:

It depends on the feature. Eclipse, in particular, is what results when
people are encouraged to add features without constraint. You get something
very bloated, not very coherent (tools are inconsistent across languages
where they should not be), difficult to maintain in a production
development environment, and requiring large-memory machines to run with
any sort of decent speed.

I can't speak for myself, but one of the reasons that *I* am using
QtCreator is that it is light-weight and multi-platform. There are aspects
of QtCreator that I think could be significantly improved for
multi-platform *target* development, and I have a serious love-hate
relationship with CMake, but within those limits it is a very powerful and
useful tool.

So: new features? Sure! But not at the cost of bloat or inconsistency.

Jonathan