[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

Vojtech Kral vojtech at kral.hk
Tue May 29 19:38:04 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-29 18:52, Geronimo Ma. Hernandez wrote:

> So what's wrong with that.
> Java did not arise only by simplicity of the language, but also by
> incredibly
> tools like eclipse and netbeans, that cut you off most grunt work.
> What eclipse
> takes out from living syntax-tree is unique.
> ... and I'm quite sure, that QtCreator could offer a big bunch of
> features
> based on living syntax-tree.
>
> I believe, that everything, that could be managed by machines, I
> don't have to
> care about and for so I don't like to have to waste my time on such
> tasks.

That's what I'm trying to tell you: Any C++ build process that goes
beyond
simple "hello world!"-like programs probably cannot be managed by
machines only.

There is a whole lot of stuff build system does in C++. It defines the
way the structure of
the project goes and the way files include or use other files. Some
source files are generated
by the build system. In C++ there is no standard how to include files,
unlike in Java.
Also, the build system must perform a series of checks on the compiler,
the envinronment, libraries, et cetera. _Especially_ if you want
cross-platform code.

Essentially, the build scripts are part of the source code.

> Hm, from my point of view - you already past the biggest challenge.
> What can
> be harder than parse C/C++?
> I don't think that any build-system is as complex as C/C++ sources
> could be.

First of all, you don't only require the QtC to _parse_ the build
scripts,
you require QtC to _understand_ the code completely.

Second, it indeed might be possible for QtC to parse and (to some
extent) "understand"
build scripts, but it is an enourmous effort and most importantly,
pointless effort,
because most developers are just fine writing their own script.

I personally would not entrust any software to automatize the task for
me.

It would basically be like having your website generated by MS
FrontPage ;-)