[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

Geronimo Ma. Hernandez geronimo013 at gmx.com
Thu May 31 20:12:50 CEST 2012

On Thursday 31 May 2012 - 19:06:41, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Vojtech Kral <vojtech at kral.hk> wrote:
> >   1. Compiler switches:
> >   The fact that you want to enter a compiler switch
> >
> > manually is itself suspicious. Why do you want to do that?
>
> First: even in the cross-platform build case, there are reasons to have
> per-file and/or per-target switches. Some examples:
>
>   1. All sorts of -D options, for example to selectively enable debugging
>      features.
>
>    2. Multiple targets built with different options.
>
>    3. Multiple targets in the same project that use distinct compilers,
>        for example cross compile vs host compile
>
>    4. Unusual input files that may require control over low-level
>        runtime decisions on particular platforms
>
> and on and on.
> In that successor, I see no reason why the user should not be allowed to
> specify compile-specific and link-specific options, perhaps even on a
> per-platform basis.

You made my day!

First time that I think, there is someone out there, who understands what I
mean :)

I agree, that lots of options could be managed automatically but to the list
above I'd like to add the big bunch of warning-options.
They are true compiler specific, but they can't be set automatically.

Especially if you work on different projects with project-manager that force
their own programming guide. One project is ruled by oldfashioned c-style
developer, another by uptodate c++-guru ...
What's a nogo in one project is a must in the other.
So it would be a great help, if the ide supports setting of compiler options -
regardless the buildsystem used.

kind regards

Gero