[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

Vojtech Kral vojtech at kral.hk
Thu May 31 19:59:53 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-31 19:06, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

> Vojtech:
have built IDEs, so I fully understand (in a technical sense) all of the
issues you have raised concerning cross-platform build options. I
disagree with you.
> (...)

Hi,

 Hm, you might have misunderstood me
or perhaps I didn't make myself clear: Compiler switches are by all
means useful and I myself do use them (In fact, I sometimes set up
distict switches for each .cpp). And I'm glad and very grateful that my
favourite build system (CMake) offers a great support in that regard.

I was just pointing out to Geronimo that the matter is a bit more
complicated than just "setting up custom compiler switches for my
project" in one or few GUI fields. It would actually probably require a
set of GUI settings for each file separately, which would (at least for
me) be very impractical.

 I was also suspicious about compiler
switches Geronimo was looking to use, because since he is a C++
beginner, it sounds to me like someone somewhere suggested "you need a
-g compiler switch for debugging", but that kind of thing should be done
differently. Maybe I was wrong, maybe he really does need custom
switches.

 So all in all, I agree with you. (You sound like a much
more experienced programmer than myself anyway ;-) )

Cheers,

~Vojtech Kral