[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

Coda Highland chighland at gmail.com
Thu May 31 21:51:57 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Geronimo Ma. Hernandez
<geronimo013 at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 31 May 2012, Coda Highland wrote:
>> And Creator already has an easy-to-use UI for the job -- it's just "open
>> project".
>
> Hm - do you refer to a former release of QtCreator?

Possibly. It's been a long time since I've used Creator for more than
qmake projects.

>> , possibly stashing some relevant metadata for convenience/extensibility
>> (like the generic makefile project).
>
> not sure, whether I understand that.

Makefiles contain all of the information necessary to build a project,
but provide very little information on how you want to edit it.
Creator makes a data file beside the makefile when you open a generic
makefile as a project in order to store things like how you've chosen
to organize the files and what project-level editor settings you've
selected. For what it's worth, it creates this file for qmake projects
too (the .pro.user file); it (theoretically) contains information
relevant to the IDE but not relevant to the build process. (I say
"theoretically" because sometimes it does end up holding build
settings; this is a longstanding issue that's complicated to resolve
but it's not that hard to avoid the problem.)

/s/ Adam