[Qt-creator] Kit-Device relation

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Nov 15 23:13:24 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 07:24:59PM +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

> 12.11.2012, 13:17, "Orgad Shaneh" <orgads at gmail.com>:
> > Hello,Kits are currently associated with a specific device. That
> > implies a device-kit 1-n relationship (a single device relates to n
> > kits).  This looks wrong. In case the user has several identical
> > devices, why would he need to configure build configuration for each
> > of them?  IMHO kits should only have device type. The device should
> > be taken out of kit configuration, and be re-added in run
> > configuration and in debugger dialogs (filtering devices by the
> > kit's device type).
>
> +1 from me.

If only the device type was part of that set essentially every use of
a Kit would need to be accompanied by a concrete device.  That would
defeat much of the purpose, which is being able to easily switch a
"reasonable" set of things that "belong together".

I am not saying Kits are perfect now, neither in scope not in
presentation, and there is certainly still some wiggle room (I think
e.g. a "base" set of environment variables should be includes) to get
things right.

But the inclusion of the "fully configured" device covers and (at least
conceptually) improves all the "normal" use cases we encountered during
the last few years, and it allows to handle more(!) of the more exotic
cases.

Sure, 2.6 Kit configuration feels a bit more "bare metal" than 2.5
Targets, so this needs a bit of polish to get to the usual "works out of
the box" level of maturity we had for the _supported_ use cases in the
past.

But the system is way more powerful, and when there is a usability
problem (Note I say "when", not "if"...) in a specific use case, I'd
like to hear and understand the case first before jumping to the
conclusion that device type only would be preferable to the fully
configured device.

Andre'