[Qt-creator] Adding examples to welcome page

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at kdab.com
Wed Nov 21 12:02:27 CET 2012

On Wednesday, 2012-11-21, Ziller Eike wrote:

> There is no "manifest" file that describes the examples in Qt 5 yet, and
> that Qt Creator needs to show you the examples.
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27801

Ah, good.

> > The code seems to be have the capability to check for any additional Qt's
> > examples but it also has this
> >
> > // There is no good solution for Qt 5 yet
> > if (version->qtVersion().majorVersion != 4)
> >
> >     continue;
>
> That is fixed in 2.6 & master:
> http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-creator/qt-creator/blobs/2.6/src/plugins/qtsuppo
> rt/exampleslistmodel.cpp#line303

Right, seem I hadn't updated my 2.6 branch recent enough.

> > Can anyone shed a light on what "no good solution" means in this context?
> > Any other way (config setting, environment variable)?
>
> As it is, you cannot "add" examples, the code basically randomly takes a
> registered Qt version that has some. You can force Qt Creator to take a
> specific example manifest by putting a ExampleManifests entry in your
> settings:
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building-Qt-Creator-Packages

I am not sure enough how QSettings works when doing key lookup, but this seems
to be limited to what the packager can do and does not offer an easy way to
augment this setting on a system, group or user level.

With QtDemo gone in Qt5, QtCreator looked like an obvious choice for accessing
Qt demos, examples and tutorials since it seems to do that nicely for Qt4.

Since the manifest problem will be addressed in by Qt5.0, can I assume that
QtCreator for Qt5.0 will support Qt5 development out-of-the-box, including
demos/examples/tutorials?

Cheers,
Kevin

--