[Qt-creator] Is MSVC on Windows supported?

Coda Highland chighland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 17:42:44 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 7:35 AM,  <kai.koehne at nokia.com> wrote:
> [...]

MinGW is definitely a SLOWER compiler than MSVC, but MinGW gcc 4.7's
optimizer is a lot smarter than MSVC's. (It optimizes a few cases
better than icc, too, but icc does a few other things better than
gcc.) Its libraries are where the problem really is, since the MinGW
libraries haven't seen a whole lot of maintenance but the compiler has
benefited from gcc's cross-platform development.

It's a big change from before gcc 4.5. The stable version of MinGW was
pretty bad before then, but 4.5, 4.6, and then 4.7 each saw major
improvements.

I wish I could find the study I was reading a month or so ago doing
comparisons of most of the current C++ compilers for Windows; it was
comparing MSVC, gcc, icc, Digital Mars, and a couple others, and it
was incredibly detailed about the assembly language breakdown of what
the compilers were doing, but my browser history doesn't seem to go
back that far.

/s/ Adam