[Qt-creator] BareMetal Target Plugin

Tim Sander tim at krieglstein.org
Wed Aug 14 15:49:32 CEST 2013

Hi Alexis
> I'm interested in what you call a bare metal target, do you mean
> something like arm(CortexMx) or sparc target?
Yes, mainly devices with little memory.

> I started something similar, but it's just background work.
Do you have s.th. i might find useful?

If you feel like helping out i could push the stuff to gitorius.
I have made a new kit and i am currently working on the debugger
run control stuff.

> Le 14/08/2013 13:16, Daniel Teske a écrit :

> >> The problem is that just pointing to a qmake binary is not enough as
> >> Creator runs a couple of sanity checks to ensure the associated Qt build
> >> is "usable". This is simply "too much" in this particular case.
> >
> > The ony requirements are, and I repeat myself here:
> > - Various files in the mkspec directory, those are needed by qmake.
> > - That the bin directory exists (which given that the qmake binary is in
> > it is a rather easy requirement.
> > - That the include directory exists, but that can be empty. That is the
> > only one that is in addtion to what would work on the command line. We
> > check that directory, since it is quite common for those who compile qt
> > from source to not do a -prefix . build / not install.
> >
> >> It is possible to trick Creator into believing that "all is well" by
> >> creating a dummy libQtCore.so matching the target architecture and
> >> copying
> >> parts of a real Qt's mkspec directory, but that's clearly a hack.
>
> If here you mean a custom qmake version, I did it in a dirty way by
> compiling a Qt sdk with qmake and after I replaced all mkspec files and
> Qt libraries by my files. It works "perfectly" with QtCreator from 2.6
> to 2.8.
> I can send you a Linux example if you want.
Yes that would be great if you could send me the stuff via private mail.

> If somebody knows how to build qmake without the SDK I'm interested. And
> also if it could be possible to configure the qt path outside of qmake
> binary, something like a conf file or even qmake could get it's current
> path and
> use it as qt path, it would make custom SDK distribution easier.
Sounds a lot like qbs project aims...

Tim